Monday, May 18, 2015

Long Weekend Brunch: Mildred's Temple


One of my dear friends is going to be going to Saskatchewan to work there permanently. I am using every opportunity I get to spend time with her before she moves - what a great excuse to use to have brunch with her! The line-up was horrendously long, totaling up to 45 minutes for the wait. Although I believe we only waited for 40 minutes, it was not that unbearable because they text you when your table is ready. We took that opportunity to walk around Liberty Village. But since it was a holiday, most things were closed.




I absolutely loved how spacious the restaurant was! It wasn't as cramped as a lot of the more popular eateries, which made it seem like you had more breathing room. The patio, however, I felt was a little lacking. It was also placed inconveniently right in front of the main doors, so you really had everyone passing you as you have your meal. Perhaps there was another corner for the patio?


I also love when restaurants have a clean feel to them. 5 stars for cleanliness! The servers were slow and clearing the tables were also slow. At times, I would say tables not being cleared for a solid 10 minutes before anybody would really have the chance to clean it up. Then it would take another 5 minutes or so for them to actually set it up. Add on an additional 15 minutes for an empty table just sitting there. It was probably fair to say that the restaurant was busy, but to have left a table empty for that long? They could have easily put a group of hungry customers there within 10-15 minutes.


We ordered scones and biscuits to share. I do believe that they were both scones and not biscuits because the biscuits were supposed to be buttermilk without any currants inside. Both contained currants, and was not a "flaky biscuit" as described. The whipped butter and what seemed to be home-made strawberry jam (the waiter spoke way too quickly for either of us to really understand anything). Disappointed that they weren't warm, it was still delicious. I wouldn't say it's one of the best I've tried though.





I ordered the "Veda's Choice" which is basically a croissant with a poached egg, bearnaise sauce, and smoked salmon. This was literally a combination of all the breakfast foods I love put onto one plate. Veda's Choice was a bit hard to devour but it was still one of the best "sandwiches" I have had. The greens on the side on the other hand, I did not really care for.


I also ordered a House-Made ice tea. My friend thought it had too strong of a cinnamon flavour. Usually I am not a fan of cinnamon or anything that contains too strong of a spice flavour, I quite enjoyed it. As a matter of fact, I would go back and get another one! It was a nice balance of sweet and tea flavoured. 

The other order we had was Huevos Monty. It was basically a cheddar crepe with black beans topped with avocado creme fraiche and salsa. I felt that this was something you could easily make at home - maybe I didn't get to the bean part - but my friend said it had a certain flavour that you cannot get. To begin with though, I am not a big fan of beans.



Here is an aerial view of my side of the table. Everything was delicious and I would definitely go back. Not sure if I would wait that long on a cold or rainy day though. Parking was a bit expensive but also very convenient which is a major plus for me when it comes to picking a restaurant. Although the service was slow, I had quite the pleasant experience. 4/5 stars for this restaurant after paying $55 for 2 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment