Monday, December 22, 2014

Hong Kong: Shek O Happy Garden

Well hello there! It has been a while since I've blogged but due to school and such it's hard to go and explore new restaurants. This post is going to be a little different since I am going to be posting about some Hong Kong restaurants as versus the usual Toronto. I was away for 2 weeks (hence the lack of posting) and really enjoyed my vacation there! When people tell you 2 weeks is not enough to explore the city...it really is NOT enough. I would have to say, my first time being in Asia was definitely a successful one! For the next several days, I will be posting about all the delicious finds that I have come across.

I didn't live anywhere near the city, but rather in Shek O. It was honestly pretty far from everything, including the MTR but it was nice going back to a place that is quiet at night. This was one of the restaurants I went to on the first day of my arrival. I believe most of these restaurants were family owned and/or occasionally opened on the weekends for tourists. Although secluded, the area featured a nice beach (which I will post later on) and a golf course nearby.


Doing it right by eating veggies! The first dish contains a blend of different veggies and some veggies that had a hallow interior. Not sure what it is in English, but it's known as "tong choi" in Chinese. The dishes were a lot bigger than the normal portions in Hong Kong but nonetheless still very delicious.


I'm not usually a fan of curry, but this is a soft shell crab dish. We had pitas that came with it so it balanced out the salty flavour. In the picture it looks like a pile of mess, but I assure you that it was very very good. I would probably say that there was a bit too much sauce to crab ratio but other than that, it was super filling!


 This was some of the menu items that they had in the restaurant. Mostly it was more Malaysian style or some sort of fusion dish. For the price of these dishes, it was a pretty big portion for the same price as if you were to go into the city. You can briefly see the other options on the other side of the menu, but they really do have a variety of options on the menu. This is one of the rarer restaurants in the area that would be open everyday of the week, and even into the late night.



The last item we ordered was beef and chicken skewers. I don't have much to say about this except for the fact that it was tender yet chewy. It wasn't the best item that I had there but it isn't terrible, just nothing special. Skewers can go really wrong sometimes being over cooked or burned, but these were pretty standard. Overall I'd rate this restaurant a 2.5/5 stars. Wasn't exactly the BEST of the best, but it was very moderate. The total came out to be only $24 CAD with tips. With that being said...for 4 items, and pretty much not being able to finish everything? I think that is well worth the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment