Saturday, January 17, 2015

Hong Kong: Tim Ho Wan


Next stop (not really) Tim Ho Wan! As mentioned previously, we went to a dim sum place but was disappointed that Tim Ho Wan was not at Mong Kok. So we tried again, and went to a different location. I definitely was looking forward to this because it is considered to be the cheapest Michelin Star restaurant you can find.


Nothing too special about the interior of the restaurant. It is just like any other restaurant that you can find in Toronto or Hong Kong. It did have a very roomy feel to it though but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be eating beside a table of strangers. I guess that's just the culture of Hong Kong.


Tim Ho Wan is spread throughout Hong Kong and there are many locations that can be found. We went to the one near Tin Hau Station (I can't tell you exactly where it was because I was guided). Regardless, we were pretty hungry even though it was early and ordered a tonne of food between the 4 of us.



At first, the fish dish that came does not look appetizing at all. But here we are, something that blew my mind away. It was simply delicious! This is the plain old BBQ pork bun but revamped. It had a crispy shell and the same filling that it normally has on the inside. 


There is a the lotus sticky rice, chicken feet and rice rolls. I wasn't a big fan of those, especially the chicken feet because I find anything messy to eat unappealing. The sticky rice was very average (sort of comparable to Fung Shing Restaurant). The rice rolls, I don't remember much about it...so it must have not been that impressive.


The siu mai though, this siu mai...it was pretty good! It is a bit bigger than your average size but for whatever reason it tastes a lot better too! There wasn't anything too special about the ingredients (at least not from my taste bud or through my naked eye) but for some reason they put something in there that I thought tasted pretty awesome! Overall, I'd rate this restaurant a 3.5/5 for the atmosphere and food quality. I loved how it wasn't super packed and you are not elbowing the next person trying to consume your food, but I do feel that some of the food can be a bit more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment