Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Edition: Bier Markt


One of my favourite holidays has to be Christmas. For years and years I have been waiting to go to a place with great charcuterie selections. Finally I had an excuse to go. Usually this place is pretty packed but perhaps we went a little later so there was barely a line up. Still, it took us a while to be seated but we were greeted with an ear to ear smile from the waitress. It definitely made the waiting a little more bearable. The setting of the restaurant was very bar-like, so if you're looking for an intimate date...this is not the place to go!


Since it is located at shops at Don Mills, the area was very festive and is always a really pretty sight. We sat near the window and had it snowed, it would've been the perfect Christmas view! You can see that there's a blown out candle on the ledge, for whatever reason I thought the smell of the candle was too strong so we set it aside. 

Although there was no line up, you can still see that most of the restaurant was packed with large groups of people celebrating. It has a very pretty interior and also features hundreds of beers! I personally am not a beer lover myself but definitely should try one of the rare beers that you can't find in stores. They have a great selection of beers that you can probably find something that will suite your tastebuds. The menu features beers from Germany, China, Africa, Canada, Italy etc. pretty much any place you can name...they'll have it.


I have only had a bouillabaise a couple times, one of them which consisted of dining at Canoe. To my surprise, for a fraction of the price...this was definitely way more worth it. The soup had lots of seafood flavour and the presentation of the dish was definitely something picture worthy. I believe the yellow cup on the side is mustard and that added a nice touch to the bread slices provided.


I like to be safe, and this is salmon with bok choy and quinoa cakes. For a small person like me, I was not able to finish everything on this plate. Have I not had the charcuterie selections, probably I would've been able to. The salmon was cooked really nicely being crisp on the outside and super tender on the inside. The bok choy was just bok choy, perhaps a little too much oil was used for my liking. What I did forget to take a picture of was the quinoa cakes. Usually I don't prefer quinoa, but this was actually quite tasty! The texture resembled potato cakes with a little more gritty texture to it.

Of course last but not least is the selections of meat. I wish I can name you everything that we ordered but I really only remember what was very tasty. The candied bacon and the proscuitto is DEFINITELY a must try! I thought that candied bacon was going to be a little weird but it had a very strong sweet bacon taste. It was absolutely delicious. The proscuitto is usually something that can never go wrong with either. The rest of the meat was very mediocre but was still a great paring with the bread.



I had a wonderful experience that night, from all the food to the waitress (Shout out to you!). She was very nice about everything and always checked up on us even after she had initially asked us how our food was. There are a lot more other food selections I have yet to try, and I am already counting down the days till I get to come back! 5/5 stars for this one, and it was definitely worth the $120 for the meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment