Saturday, December 27, 2014

Han Ba Tang


I got to catch up with one of my old friends at Han Ba Tang tonight and we had the opportunity to try this new restaurant. Embarrassingly, we were more concerned about what everyone else was choosing online rather than knowing what sounds tasty. We were caught in the act by our server (oops!) but he was friendly enough to go through some of his favourites on the menu. It seemed like there were quite a few additions to the menu but since we're new, everything seemed fantastic!

I'm an avid foodie for cuisines such as korean foods, so this was perfect for me. If you're not korean, you really don't have to worry too much because the waiters/waitresses all speak perfect English. Bonus on top of that is that the menu is completely in English as well! There are a variety of age groups that come here, so I wouldn't say it's a place just for the younger generation. They take fusion to a whole nother level. 



The decor was very awesome. Although the only complaint I might have is the height of the table or chairs. It was at an awkward height so it made eating dinner quite uncomfortable. We had 3 chairs and sat on the metal one. I suggest if you're on the shorter side to sit on the wooden fold out chairs (again, the chairs were fold outs so it was a bit uncomfortable). The place was very clean and offered a lot of room between tables.

The first dish that came was the spicy chicken with cheese fondue. I personally absolutely love fondue, but this was an interesting taste. The cheese didn't exactly melt so we had to just plop the solidified substance onto the spicy chicken. Although it said spicy, it was not (lost 1 point for that because Korean foods are meant to be spicy!). In fact, another point I would deduct from is the temperature of the food. Most (if not all) seemed like they have been cooled down for a while. The dishes were a good portioned size that allowed us to sample all the other things. 


Tacos! I promise you that even though this picture doesn't look too appetizing, it turned out to be pretty good. From top left going counter clockwise, we had fish, spicy pork and bulgogi. The fish had too strong of a lemon taste, and on top of that was cold so I was not a big fan of it. The spicy pork had a very rich flavour and the onions balanced it out. Bulgogi was the taco I really had my eye on, to my surprise it worked really well in a taco form!


Next is the kalbi pan dish. This by far has to be the best out of all the dishes combined. The meat was marinated very well and the green onions helped with the saltiness. If I were able to order rice with this...I'd definitely get myself a bowl. There was a bed of onions and cabbage underneath the meat which we used later to dip in the sauce of spicy chicken. The texture of this was amazing, it was soft and tender but chewy enough to uphold it's meaty reputation.


Our waiter forgot to punch in our kimchi fries, but by the end of this we were very full. We wanted to order the triple serving of tacos but thankfully we held back. This really topped it off, I wouldn't say it was anything that I won't be able to find elsewhere though. The sauces were amazing! It's complied of some sort of mayo and gravy. I would say the fries resembles the texture of the Costco fries, super crispy and very fluffy on the inside. I wasn't too big of a fan on the kimchi on top, so I ate around the soggy middle fries! Overall the quality of the food was very good. For a restaurant that hasn't been around for long, I'm excited to see what they can improve on next. We ate a total of $56 for all of these items! Which, I think, is not bad at all. I'd rate this 4.5/5 for the environment, friendliness staff (really there was only one person that was extra nice) and the food. Not sure if I would come back again soon with someone who has already been here...but it's definitely a very nice restaurant to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment